Saturday, August 6, 2011

Background

Since this is my first post on this (or any) blog, I'll write a little background.

I am a transplanted Michigan native who has lived in Arizona for over 20 years. I used to have a decent vegetable garden back in Michigan, but I never worked very hard at it. I didn't have to. Dig up the ground, plant some seeds, pull some weeds, add a little water occasionally and stuff would pretty much grow. More or less. Arizona (at least in the low desert) is different. I've tried to grow vegetables off and on ever since I moved out here and it's a battle. If it's not the terrible soil or the 110+ degree temperatures, then it's the rabbits, havelina, or birds that end up winning. The vegetables that made it to the table in the first few attempts were few and far between.

But since "success is 99% perspiration" or something like that, we keep trying. Lately my wife has had some luck with lettuce, kale, etc. and I grew a mean looking zucchini plant (and a few zucchinis) along with some tomatoes this spring, so there is hope. This blog is meant to document our fall 2011 gardening adventures and perhaps provide us with motivation to keep learning. It may even provide you, the reader, with some helpful information if you're new to Arizona vegetable gardening. That's it. Nothing fancy or unique. Look for my next post tomorrow (hopefully).

1 comment: